7th Week after Easter
God be in my head and in my understanding.
God be in my eyes and in my looking.
God be in my mouth and in my speaking
God be in my heart and in my thinking.
Gracious God, please pour your love upon those who have asked to be remembered in our prayers:
Family of Roy DeFranco –
May God comfort in their grief at the passing of their mother& grandmother.
Family of Julie Tatti –
As they mourn the loss of their sister Colette. May God give them comfort.
Assunta Colonna –
Mother of Joe Giuliano. For healing. May God sustain her courage and strength.
Joan Cartier –
longtime friend of the DPD
May God bring her comfort and courage as she faces a terminal disease.
– friend of Sr. Joan, for patience and courage as she works to recover from a stroke.
Sal Tuzzeo –
Prayers for happiness from a friend.
resident of Wallace House. May God keep him in his constant care.
–Great-nephew of Patt Foth who suffered a brain aneurysm. May he heal quickly and well.
Ellen Marco -
May our Lord, our healer grant her full recovery.
Sharon & Gloria
– During their continued battle with breast cancer, may the blessings of our heavenly Father be on them. May they be restored to health.
– an 8
grade student in Sparta as she battles colon cancer. For healing and God’s embrace for her and her family to get through this terribly difficult time
Tommy Moran –
for a return to health and for his family during this worrisome time.
– sister of CARE member Raymond, during this difficult time of waiting as to how to proceed after a lump was found in her breast. Please pray for her peace of mind as she goes through this period of waiting and for a successful treatment and quick recovery time.
– Grandmother of Ashley Hidalgo, for a speedy recovery from a dislocated hip.
Chris Androski -
husband of Barnet House volunteer Nina. That his ear is healed and he gets his hearing back.
Patty Van Tine
– Daughter of volunteer Barbara Mahler. May the Lord be her light during this time of crisis and keep her close in his love.
Sister-in-law of a volunteer. For strength to help her through her recovery program. May she feel God’s love.
Nidia Diaz –
grandmother to the children of Lourdes Torres. May she feel God’s compassionate love during and slow and uncomfortable healing process from delicate surgery.
That her 2nd opinion for cancer diagnosis will be the light she needs in this dark journey. May God's presence be upon her throughout her journey
- Gruenert Center volunteer, may God watch over her during her pregnancy and bless her and her unborn child with good health.
Lori Burton –
May you fill her heart with your comfort; fill her body with your strength and her everyday with your rest.
- Cousin of volunteer Camille Aveni, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. May he find consolation in God’s loving presence and for the doctors treating him.
James Ondimu Ochoki
– For healing for this beloved father, grandfather, father in-law, brother in-law, and uncle to many.
– Cousin of Cheryl Slate, for strength in suffering and return to health
May the Lord grant consolation and recovery to health.
- May the love of God, family and friends sustain him as he undergoes dialysis 3 days a week.
Patrick Powis –
Father of Art Powis
for comfort, strength and courage as he faces his illness
- a young man of 23 whose lungs are not in good condition, may God draw him near as his final hours approach and for comfort for his loving family.
Rosa Bascietto –
Mother of Joanne Rossi. That the love and respect of her family helps to sustain her and bring her joy.
– Son of volunteer Barbara Mahler, may God watch over him during his illness
For peace, justice and hope in our world.
May God bless our staff, residents, friends, volunteers and benefactors. May he turn his face toward you and give you peace.
Gertrude DeFranco –
Mother of Roy DeFranco
Sister of Julie Tatti
Eillen Wilson –
Longtime friend and neighbor of the DPD
May 10 -
Saint Damien, Martyr of
January 3 1840 – April 15, 1889
Patron Saint of people with leprosy, HIV and AIDS, outcasts, the state of Hawaii
Joseph de Veuster was born in Belgium on January 3, 1840. As a priest he took the name Damien. For nine years, Damien served the people in different villages around Hawaii. While working, he heard about a settlement of lepers on the island of Molokai. He was told that life on the island was terrible for the lepers. They were very poor, and there was not one doctor or priest on the island. Father Damien thought he was needed there. He went to Molokai to work with the lepers. Father Damien got busy right away. He cleaned up huts, nursed those who were very sick, and tried new medicines. Those able to help were put to work building better houses. Father Damien preached and offered Mass, but he also built roads, water systems, orphanages, and churches. He even started a choir and a band. He made the lepers feel that they were people with dignity. They learned to better respect themselves and one another.
Eventually he also contracted leprosy and died when he was 49 years old.
Our Lady of Fatima Feast Day:
Our Lady of Fatima is a title for the Blessed Virgin Mary due to her apparitions to three shepherd Children at Fatima, Portugal on the 13th day of six consecutive months in 1917, beginning on May 13th. The three children were Lucia Santos and her cousins Jacinta and Francisco Marto. The events at Fatima gained particular fame due to their elements of prophecy, particularly with regard to possible world war and the conversion of Soviet Russia. The reported apparitions at Fatima were officially declared, “Worthy of Belief” by the Catholic Church.