“Which of these three do you think proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell into the robbers’ hands?” And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.” Luke 10:27, 36-37
“If we see someone who needs help, do we stop? There is so much suffering and poverty, and a great need for good Samaritans.”
Gracious God, please pour your love upon those who have asked to be remembered in our prayers.
To make a prayer request:
– Uncle of John Hanlon from the Basile Apartments. May he rest in peace.
Family of Tom Powis –
As they mourn the loss of their father.
Family of Sarah Bramley
– 19 years old, died suddenly on Friday. For the repose of her soul and God’s comfort for her grieving family and friends.
- Mother of Gruenert staff member Lisa Beasley. May the Lord give her strength in body, courage in spirit, and patience in suffering.
- Cousin of Debbie Wickham. For the repose of his soul and God’s comfort to his family as they deal with the tragic loss of his young life in a car accident.
– Brother- in-law of Julie Tatti. We humbly ask that you restore him to health again.
-as she morns the loss of her son. May God reassure her of his continuing love and lift her from the depths of grief into his peace.
- Brother of Julie Tatti. For strength and courage as he deals with cancer. May God’s healing presence surround him.
Karen Tofilski –
for a speedy recovery and return home.
- grant him the grace and strength to accept the burden of cancer.
Family of John Ciborski –
Father of Tom Ciborski, a faithful supporter and lifelong friend of the DPD. May God grant them peace in the knowledge that John is at home in heaven.
Bonnie Leibowitz –
dear friend of volunteer Anna Philhower
for strength and recovery from rare lymphoma
– friend of Shea Curtis, as they mourn her passing. May God be with them during this difficult time.
Family of Gene Keeler
- as they mourn the loss of their dad / husband who was a faithful friend of the DPD
Msgr. Patrick Brown
– May he feel God’s love and embrace during his illness.
– Son of Ashley Hidalgo, that he will grow in strength and health. May God keep him in his watchful care.
Family of Joan Cartier –
during this time of grief and loss.
Sister Joan –
as she mourns the loss of her dear friend Sister Emily
– sister of CARE member Raymond. Please pray for strength and courage as she goes through treatment.
Chris Androski -
husband of Barnet House volunteer Nina. That his ear is healed and he gets his hearing back.
James Ondimu Ochoki
– For healing for this beloved father, grandfather, father in-law, brother in-law, and uncle to many.
May the Lord grant consolation and recovery to health.
- May the love of God, family and friends sustain him as he undergoes dialysis 3 days a week.
Patrick Powis –
Father of Art Powis
for comfort, strength and courage as he faces his illness
- a young man of 23 whose lungs are not in good condition, may God draw him near as his final hours approach and for comfort for his loving family.
Rosa Bascietto –
Mother of Joanne Rossi. That the love and respect of her family helps to sustain her and bring her joy.
– Son of volunteer Barbara Mahler, may God watch over him during his illness
For peace, justice and hope in our world.
May God bless our staff, residents, friends, volunteers and benefactors. May he turn his face toward you and give you peace.
Thomas R. Powis
Father of Art Powis
– Uncle of John Hanlon
Great grandmother of Ashley Hidalgo
- Cousin of Debbie Wickham
Joan Cartier –
Dear friend, former employee and supporter of the DPD
– Faithful friend of the DPD
– Father of John Ciborski
– Friend of Shea Curtis
August 28 – The Passion of Saint John the Baptist
The Church, having celebrated the earthly birthday of St. John the Baptist on June 24, today honors the anniversary of his martyrdom. Besides our Lord and his mother Mary, St. John the Baptist is the only one whose birth and death are thus celebrated. Today's Gospel relates the circumstances of his execution. He had the courage to blame Herod to his face for the scandal of his illegal union with his sister-in-law Herodias, whose husband was still alive. Herodias contrived to make Herod imprison him and took advantage of an unexpected opportunity to obtain through her daughter Salome the beheading of the saint.
September 1 - Feast Day of Saint Giles (c. 650 – c. 710) – Patron saint of people with disabilities.
From a wealthy family, he turned his back on the materialism of that lifestyle and settled in France, where he lived alone in a cave. Giles spent his days in prayer, meditation, and pure devotion to the Lord. On one occasion during a regular visit from a friendly deer, a royal hunting party shot an arrow that rather than hitting the deer, lodged in Giles’ leg, crippling him for the remainder of his life. Through his influence, hospitals and safe houses for the poor, crippled, and ill were built across Europe.
| +++ ----+++----+++----+++----+++----+++----+++----+++----+++
The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: “If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?” But the good Samaritan reversed the question: “If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?” – Martin Luther King Jr
The DPD is most grateful for its volunteers who take the time to help
Welcome to new volunteers: