The fourth Sunday of Easter is known as
Good Shepherd Sunday
. It is also the
World Day of Prayer for Vocations.
The scripture lessons are about shepherds. Each year on this Sunday we reflect on the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd, devotedly taking care of his flock. The title of the parish priest, "pastor," means shepherd. A shepherd leads, feeds, nurtures, comforts, corrects, and protects his flock—responsibilities that belong to every church leader. It is also a day of prayer for all who serve the church as priests, deacons, religious brothers and sisters who have responded to God’s call with courage and generosity.
Gracious God, please pour your love upon those who have asked to be remembered in our prayers:
Assunta Colonna –
Mother of Joe Giuliano. For successful heart treatment. May God sustain her courage and strength.
Joan Cartier –
longtime friend of the DPD
For a return to health.
– friend of Sr. Joan, for patience and courage as she works to recover from a stroke.
resident of Wallace House. May God keep him in his constant care.
–Great-nephew of Patt Foth who suffered a brain aneurysm. May he heal quickly and well.
Ellen Marco -
May our Lord, our healer grant her full recovery.
Sharon & Gloria
– During their continued battle with breast cancer, may the blessings of our heavenly Father be on them. May they be restored to health.
– an 8
grade student in Sparta as she battles colon cancer. For healing and God’s embrace for her and her family to get through this terribly difficult time
Tommy Moran –
for a return to health and for his family during this worrisome time.
– sister of CARE member Raymond, during this difficult time of waiting as to how to proceed after a lump was found in her breast. Please pray for her peace of mind as she goes through this period of waiting and for a successful treatment and quick recovery time.
– Grandmother of Ashley Hidalgo, for a speedy recovery from a dislocated hip.
Chris Androski -
husband of Barnet House volunteer Nina. That his ear is healed and he gets his hearing back.
Patty Van Tine
– Daughter of volunteer Barbara Mahler. May the Lord be her light during this time of crisis and keep her close in his love.
Sister-in-law of a volunteer. For strength to help her through her recovery program. May she feel God’s love.
Frank Sickinger –
for a return to strength, health and home.
Nidia Diaz –
grandmother to the children of Lourdes Torres. May she feel God’s compassionate love during and slow and uncomfortable healing process from delicate surgery.
That her 2nd opinion for cancer diagnosis will be the light she needs in this dark journey. May God's presence be upon her throughout her journey
- Gruenert Center volunteer, may God watch over her during her pregnancy and bless her and her unborn child with good health.
Lori Burton –
May you fill her heart with your comfort; fill her body with your strength and her everyday with your rest.
- Cousin of volunteer Camille Aveni, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. May he find consolation in God’s loving presence and for the doctors treating him.
James Ondimu Ochoki
– For healing for this beloved father, grandfather, father in-law, brother in-law, and uncle to many.
– Cousin of Cheryl Slate, for strength in suffering and return to health
May the Lord grant consolation and recovery to health.
- May the love of God, family and friends sustain him as he undergoes dialysis 3 days a week.
Patrick Powis –
Father of Art Powis
for comfort, strength and courage as he faces his illness
- a young man of 23 whose lungs are not in good condition, may God draw him near as his final hours approach and for comfort for his loving family.
Rosa Bascietto –
Mother of Joanne Rossi. That the love and respect of her family helps to sustain her and bring her joy.
– Son of volunteer Barbara Mahler, may God watch over him during his illness
Sister of Julie Tatti for strength in suffering and improvement in health
For peace, justice and hope in our world.
May God bless our staff, residents, friends, volunteers and benefactors. May he turn his face toward you and give you peace.
Eillen Wilson –
Longtime friend and neighbor of the DPD
Joe Mahoney –
family member of DPD volunteers Denise & Denise Avagliano
Margaret R. Babich -
longtime volunteer of DPD
April 21 –Saint Anselm
Saint Anselm (1033-1109) was a Benedictine monk, Christian philosopher, and scholar who is recognized for many intellectual accomplishments, including his application of reason in exploring the mysteries of faith and for his definition of theology as "faith seeking understanding.” The brilliance of Saint Anselm’s thinking and writing about the nature of faith and of God has intrigued and influenced scholars since the Middle Ages.
April 22 –Earth Day
Earth Day, founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson, was first organized in 1970 to promote ecology and respect for life on the planet as well as to encourage awareness of the growing problems of air, water and soil pollution.