“People Need Friends”
Department for Persons with DisabilitiesVolunteer Program
“A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be”
Our volunteer program strives to help people with developmental and intellectual disabilities grow in confidence and self-worth. Through a one-to one match based on interests and time availability our “People Need Friends” volunteers provide a unique relationship of unconditional friendship which is especially important to those who have little or no family connections and few friends outside of the Department.
What friends can do together:
- Some of our volunteers choose to be matched one to one with a special friend and do things together for an hour or so once or twice a month-Church, shopping, out to eat, bowling, movies, games or any activities that both enjoy.
- Some are general volunteers and come to the group home for games, crafts, music, gardening and spending time with any or all of the residents.
- Some volunteers spend time on Saturdays volunteering in “SATC-Saturdays at the Center” in Lake Hopatcong which provides socialization and recreation.
- The Gruenert Center in Lake Hopatcong is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for those looking to donate their time during the day time hours on weekdays.
- Pet Therapy is a group activity enjoyed by all the residents in a home.
- Art lessons are offered by volunteers at various times during the year.
- Sharing gardening skills or other such activities for the beautification of a home.
If you have a special interest or hobby we have a place for you
~Build a Friendship that will change someone’s world!~