Our volunteer program strives to help people with developmental and intellectual disabilities grow in confidence and self-worth. Through a one-to one match based on interests and time availability our “People Need Friends” volunteers provide a unique relationship of unconditional friendship which is especially important to those who have little or no family connections and few friends outside of the Department.
What friends can do together:
- Some of our volunteers choose to be matched one to one with a special friend and do things together for an hour or so once or twice a month-Church, shopping, out to eat, bowling, movies, games or any activities that both enjoy.
- Some are general volunteers and come to the group home for games, crafts, music, gardening and spending time with any or all of the residents.
- Some volunteers spend time on Saturdays volunteering in “SATC-Saturdays at the Center” in Lake Hopatcong which provides socialization and recreation.
- The Gruenert Center in Lake Hopatcong is a wonderful volunteer opportunity for those looking to donate their time during the day time hours on weekdays.
- Pet Therapy is a group activity enjoyed by all the residents in a home.
- Art lessons are offered by volunteers at various times during the year.
- Sharing gardening skills or other such activities for the beautification of a home.
If you have a special interest or hobby we have a place for you
~Build a Friendship that will change someone’s world!~